The Commons is a weblog for concerned citizens of southeast Iowa and their friends around the world. It was created to encourage grassroots networking and to share information and ideas which have either been suppressed or drowned out in the mainstream media.

"But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place;' some swearing, some crying for a surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left. I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they charitably dispose of any thing, when blood is their argument? Now, if these men do not die well, it will be a black matter for the king that led them to it; whom to disobey were against all proportion of subjection." (Henry V, Act V, Scene 4)

Sunday, September 04, 2005

An Answer to the "Blame The Victim" Argument

by HadIt

I stumbled onto a recent diary at Redstate.org (where I almost never go) which is a summation of the Conservative response to the horrors in NOLA and the lack of competent Federal action.

See the full text below, but the central relevant point is:


If I'm told by authorities to evacuate the area,
I am responsible to see my family safely away from the area.
I am responsible.
I was not raised to expect help from anyone but myself.

And you know what? I think I agree completely!
See what I mean below the fold...

See, he talks about how he expects nothing from anyone and doesn't need anyone's help with anything. He makes a good case...


Who is Responsible?
By: FireFireFire ยท Section: Diaries

Who is responsible???
I am.
I want all Americans to go thru AA rehab.
I learned almost 16 years ago that I am responsible.
Not George Bush,Not the Government,Not the Republicans,Not the Democrats,Not The liberal left,not the blacks,not the whites.
I am responsible.
I am responsible for the care and feeding of my family.
Me.
If there is a snow storm coming to my section of New England,I am responsible to make sure we have food and fuel.
If a dirtbag criminal breaks into my home,I'm the one who is responsible to protect my family by shooting the dirtbag dead.
If I'm told by authorities to evacuate the area,
I am responsible to see my family safely away from the area.
I am responsible.
I was not raised to expect help from anyone but myself.
I don't expect Teddy Kennedy to help me pay my bills.
I don't expect Michael Moore to make a film that presents a story in an unbiased way.
I don't expect my kids to clean their rooms unless I stand there and watch them.
I don't expect the federal government to be all seeing and all knowing.
I don't expect anything from anybody, because I am responsible.
No one else,Just me.
Try it,You'll like it.


Hmmm, Maybe I will...

Here's my additions.


If I need a road to drive to work, I don't need Teddy Kennedy to get funds to make a highway! I'll build it myself, because I'm responsible.

If I need to send a letter from North Carolina to Oregon, I don't need some sissy Postal Service! I'll walk it over myself, because I am responsible.

If I need emergency medication because of Anthrax exposure, I don't need anything from the National Stockpile for poor loser rejects! I'll extract antibiotics from bread mold, because I am responsible.

If I need advance warning of a hurricane, I don't need any Nation Weather Service for lazy bums! I'll form my own global meteorological data collection and analysis system from leftover Chinese food containers, because I am responsible.

If I need to be rescued from a roaring flood, I don't need any wussy National Guard, run by a competent and well-organized FEMAle agency, to pull me out on a wimpy helicopter! I'll sprout wings and fly away, because I'm responsible.

If I need to believe that I never use anything run by the government and think you shouldn't, either, I don't need any morons like you to convince me! I can do it myself, because I'm delusional.


Anyone else here care to join in the fun? How will YOU prove YOU'RE responsible?

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/4/1468/10985

Additions:

If Osama Bin Laden blows up buildings in my country, I don't need the government to hunt him down. I can form my own army and do that myself, while the U.S. government spends all its resources on an unrelated war. Because I am responsible.

IF I am worried about communicable disease, I will develop my own vaccines for my family. If anyone in my family becomes ill, I will develop medications to cure their disease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home